A bathroom in any apartment is a fairly visited place, so it should also look great. Finishing the toilet tiles requires maximum practicality, because even a small discrepancy to the chosen stylistic direction in the apartment will immediately catch the eye. Properly selected and laid tile in the toilet is the most competent and popular solution, it guarantees high-quality repairs. The toilet trimmed with ceramic tiles will look beautiful, but it is important to carry out the work correctly. At the same time there is a significant difference when working in the bathroom and toilet. That is why, before starting work, you should carefully study the list of necessary operations for laying tiles.
As in the bathroom, tiled works, first of all, require preparatory work: you need to prepare the walls and floor. First of all, you should start from the floor, because in the bathroom, including in the bathroom, pass water risers. This means that the toilet is subject to high humidity. Therefore, the first thing to think about waterproofing. Since it should start all the work. Also, do not forget about the walls. If you carry out repairs in the old fund, the walls are usually covered with oil paints. It is not recommended to glue tiles on it. All whitewash and old paint will have to be removed.
If you undertake simultaneous repairs in the toilet and bathroom, then the work can be combined. To remove paint, whitewash, and possibly tiles and in the toilet and bathroom will need a small hatchet, spatula and water. All dusty and dirty work in the toilet and bathroom are performed first. Only after the completion of such work, you can start finishing. All working surfaces of the toilet and bathroom, which will be trimmed with ceramic tiles, must first be anointed with soil and dried.
There is no particular difference in the choice of tiles between the toilet and the bathroom. If before that you had a bathroom finish, then it is advisable to leave all the gamut and color of the tile in the bathroom. That is, the choice of ceramic tiles for the toilet will be the same as in the bathroom. It is necessary to acquire material in advance and with a small margin so that the interior and design of the toilet should not suffer from a shortage of material. There can be various situations - the tile of the acquired design in the store just ends and the like. It is desirable that the interior and design of the bathroom and toilet were the same, it will solve several problems at once.
Tools and materials
Repairing the toilet will require the following tools:
- Flexible level.
- Capacity for solution.
- Two-meter wooden lath.
- Capacity for tile glue.
- Tile cutter or ordinary diamond glass cutter.
- Spatula or ordinary trowel.
- Special mixer or you can use the nozzle for the drill.
- Building level.
- Hatchet or small hammer to apply notches.
- Crosses so that the seams of tiles are the same in width and smooth.
- Clean rag.
This list, which is necessary to perform repairs in the bathroom, can be supplemented. But the presence of these tools will make a beautiful room design, and tile laying will be of high quality and comfortable.
Tile material and colors
Depending on what kind of design and interior you want to get, the texture and color of the tile is chosen. Most often in the shops found glass and ceramic tiles, mosaic. "Ceramics" is the most common, as it is moisture resistant and cost. The dignity of the mosaic is a beautiful design, a variety of paintings and patterns. The advantage of glass tiles - resistance to household chemicals and external attractiveness.
The light color of the tile is perfect if the interior has limited space. The light color of the tile will make the interior more spacious. The color of the floor can be black, which will give depth and visually increase the volume of the room. As a tile used on the floor, you should choose a tile with a non-smooth, rough surface so that there is no slip when walking.
Laying tiles on the floor
Repair begin with laying the floor. The interior of the toilet technically has four walls. During tile laying they are not related to each other. In the work on the bathroom to get a beautiful design, it will take a lot of tile trim. Another important factor is the small area of the bathroom, which will affect the repair - the speed of work will be small.
If it is assumed that the interior will remain with the toilet installed, then it will be necessary to make cuts in the mosaic tile in order to smoothly go around the toilet.
- Mark the middle of the room to get the center line of the seam.
- Then we begin to glue the whole tile from the door, going to the opposite wall. As a result, trimming will evenly diverge around, hiding behind the toilet. In this case, the tile will have an aesthetic color and design, trimming is almost not visible.
- During operation, use the building level to constantly monitor the horizontal mark.
- If the interior of the toilet has an uneven floor with drops, then before laying the tile you will need to perform a screed. If the drops are small, then self-leveling mixtures are sufficient.
- The gap between the tiles, to get a beautiful color and design of the toilet, should be about 2 mm. This can be adjusted using special plastic crosses.
- After laying the tiles on the floor, you need to give a couple of days so that it dries out and you can continue working.
Laying tiles on the walls
- To get a beautiful design of the toilet and a uniform color pattern, we begin to keep laying strictly from the door and from the side walls. Here the condition is valid, we will look at the tile, facing the door. As a result, the entire trim will be directed to the front wall.
- We start repairing the walls by placing a whole tile on the floor, since the floor is already level and you can lay them directly on the walls. We glue the first row to the opposite wall, moving away from the door. In the process, one should not forget to use the level, checking the vertical as well as the horizontal level along the upper edge of the tile.
- Here, too, the design of the pattern is carried out using crosses.
- Rising row behind, we reach the ceiling slope of the door. It is important to reduce the seam of the tile with the side walls. On the wall, choose the end of the tile, and on the door we attach a strictly horizontal rail, which will be the bottom of the tile above the door. If it turns out trimming, going to the door frame, then glue the next whole tile. Trimming is carried out only after drying the whole tile. Paste the cut tiles on the slope of the installed rail.
- The end wall can begin to finish from the central seam, diverging to the side, but you can use another option - go to the riser, starting from the free angle. Given the fact that the riser will be closed by something, then trimming will hide. As a result, the design will be more beautiful, and more economical.
- After laying the tiles on the walls, you need to wait a few days for it to dry.