Well-groomed paths on summer cottage areas to many masters. Decorate and ennoble the garden with your own hands is easy, for this purpose there are a lot of different materials on sale. And if earlier concrete tiles were popular, now, more and more often, people choose garden parquet for the design of home gardens.
What is garden flooring and where is it used?
Garden parquet (or decking) is a finishing material that looks like tiled modules of square or rectangular shape. Sections have soft or rigid fastening, are made of a tree, plastic or their combination. The slats are fixed on a special profile and arranged in a pattern or parallel to each other. There are small holes between the slats, thus avoiding stagnation of water on the tile surface. Also this coating has another name - anti-slip, or anti-slip. It appeared because even on a wet garden flooring it is impossible to slip and fall.
The word "decking" is translated as "deck". This name has been applied to the parquet for the garden because of its origin. Decking for many years was used as a coating on US ships, and over time moved into the homes of Americans, many of whom live on the coast. A little later, and Canadians appreciated this finishing material. At that time, tiles were made of natural wooden boards, often used wood of pine, oak and cedar. However, the tree needs careful maintenance, and the tar method, which was used in the fleet for longevity, was unacceptable in everyday life.
Now, more wear-resistant materials have appeared, and garden flooring is used everywhere:
- for arrangement of park paths;
- for decorative bridges;
- on terraces and gazebos;
- on the territory by the pool;
- on the balcony or veranda;
- for facing steps and floors in rooms with high humidity (kitchens, basements, bathrooms, baths).
Deking is used not only in the country. It can be used in urban environments. For example, they can trim the floor in the loggia.
Varieties of garden parquet and their advantages
The choice of tile directly determines the duration of its use, so let's talk about what types of garden parquet exist and how they differ from each other.
Garden parquet made of wood is an eco-friendly material that harmoniously combines with summer houses and wooden buildings on the site. Often used to cover pine tiles. This wood has high strength and relatively affordable price. Material differs in rich color scale and is easily tinted and painted.
Larch garden flooring is also in great demand. It is durable, resistant to rotting, moisture, temperature changes and mechanical damage, and the natural pattern of larch is not only beautiful, but also functional: it prevents sliding.
Also often used birch wood, cedar and teak. Exotic wood contains the latter in the composition of the oil, which has a beneficial effect on the duration of operation. For the production of decking from some species of trees (oak, beech and ash) carry out the heat treatment procedure. So the durability of wooden tiles is increased by 20 times.
Wooden garden cover has a lot of advantages:
- The surface repels moisture and does not slip.
- Natural drawing looks very attractive.
- Well absorbs and retains heat for a long time, so that in the evening it will be pleasant to walk barefoot on wooden panels.
- Installation is easy with your own hands.
- Easy to clean, easy to clean and flush.
By cons parquet for the garden of wood should be attributed to a relatively high cost compared to other species. Also, such a tile needs periodic treatment from insects. In advance, you should think about the lower layer. It should not touch the ground, otherwise it will rot. To prevent this, you need to use a substrate on a plastic base.
Plastic garden flooring is a great solution for those who want to clean up their dacha by spending a small amount of money. You can decorate the tracks with this material with your own hands and in a very short time, and this will not affect the appearance. The slats can be connected longitudinally and in parallel; you can optionally create a specific pattern. The higher the humidity at the place of installation, the gaps between the slats should be wider.
Garden parquet made of plastic has the following advantages:
- This is an environmentally safe material.
- It weighs little, so there are no difficulties with transportation.
- Minimum preparatory work for installation.
- Differs in long service life.
- The relief surface excludes sliding.
- Wide scope of application: it is possible to use not only on a summer residence, but also on a balcony or a cellar.
- The coating is durable, highly resistant to deformation.
- Do not be afraid of rotting or mold.
- Insects are indifferent to plastic decing.
- Chips and cracks are not formed on the surface due to temperature fluctuations or mechanical effects.
- It does not get hot in the sun, but it keeps for a long time the heat accumulated during the day.
It is not recommended to wash with chemical cleaners, as they may deform the surface. Under the long exposure of the sun, the color of the tile fades.
Wood reserves are not infinite, it makes sense to use not a pure tree for the dacha cover, but materials based on it. Garden parquet from WPC (wood-polymer composite) is made of sawdust and polymer. Square plates are attached to the substrate. This option will appeal to those who want the same beautiful coverage as from ordinary wood, but at a more attractive price. Manufacturers guarantee 10-15 years of using wood-plastic plates without deformation.
The advantages of parquet from this material are:
- It is eco-friendly, does not emit any harmful substances.
- Appearance attractive. WPC may look like the most expensive wood species. It has a rich color range.
- No interest in insects, protected from fungus.
- Long lasting quality guarantee.
- Resistant to moisture, does not rot.
- It has high strength, much greater than a real tree.
- Easy installation. The tile can be put directly on the ground or concrete, it will depend on the choice of the base.
- The surface is pleasant to the touch and protected from slipping.
- Due to the plasticity of the material during production, it can be given a different shape.
- Easy to clean with water and a soft brush.
- Not afraid of changes in temperature, rain or snow.
- Does not overheat and does not fade in the sun.
- You can easily disassemble before the winter period, and then re-lay in the spring.
In addition, the WPC garden parquet will take root in places of high humidity. And although the tile looks like wood, it does not need preventive treatment.
Laying garden parquet
After choosing a garden parquet, you need to learn how to lay it. Starting work, you should determine the boundaries to calculate the amount of material. After the tile is purchased, you can proceed to installation.
Laying garden parquet with your hands begins with leveling the surface. Decking can be put on the base of sand or gravel, having previously tamped them. The fastest way is open ground. Land needs to be treated so that weeds do not appear. You can make a concrete screed. Do not forget to equip drains to avoid water accumulation. This item is the most important because the installation itself resembles the assembly of the designer. Depending on personal preferences you need to lay out the details in the form of Christmas trees, braids, etc.
Care of the material
Care of a garden parquet does not demand special skills. Decking is easy to clean with water. For heavy soiling, you can use brushes or detergents. With products made of wood in this case, be careful, read the instructions, so as not to spoil the wood. From burnout parquet, which is located on the street, you need to cover with special oil. Wood tiles also need to be treated with insect pests.
At the end of the summer season, the garden cover should be cleared of dirt and dismantled. After drying and storing in a dry place until the next spring. Parquet from plastic will survive the winter, it can be left on the site.
Garden flooring is an excellent material for flooring, both indoors and outdoors. It will be a good element of landscape design, and thanks to the chic color palette, you can be sure that there is a suitable shade.