The owner of a private house or cottage, regardless of the size of his personal plot, must constantly think about how to get rid of the waste that occurs during each period of work in the garden or in the garden. Pruning bushes and trees in the spring, removing weeds from flower beds, flower beds from lawns in summer, autumn foliage harvesting, vegetable tops and wilted plants all lead to the accumulation of large amount of garden waste. Quickly and efficiently recycle this garbage allows garden chopper for grass and branches.
What is a garden shredder?
A garden shredder is a special unit that helps efficiently recycle grass and other waste that accumulates in large quantities in gardens and vegetable gardens. Each such necessary on the plot of the device is equipped with a panel that allows you to control the grinding device. The principle of operation of such a device is simple and in many respects resembles the work of a food processor:
- all garden waste is loaded into a special funnel, in the upper part of the unit;
- branches and grass are passed through special elements that cut the mass of garbage;
- crushed waste in the form of sawdust is loaded into special containers.
By shredding the waste, which inevitably results from cultivating garden and garden crops on the site, several issues of concern to each owner can be solved at once:
- the use of recycled grass to give as a natural fertilizer will occur much faster and better;
- compressed shavings of trunks and branches of bushes and trees can be used as fuel;
- the waste processed by the shredder is much easier and cheaper to export from the cottage or garden.
In the ratings of the best models of shredders for garden work, the main criteria for quality are a few basic details of the model configuration.
Options for garden shredders drives
The drive mechanism (engine) can work by electricity or using gasoline. Each option has certain advantages and disadvantages.
Electric drives, as a rule, are installed on garden shredders the power of which does not exceed 2.6 kW. Among the advantages of such units are:
- small size, the ability to quickly move the garden electric shredder to any desired place on the garden plot;
- light weight, which allows even a person of small physical data to cope with a garden shredder;
- very insignificant noise level during the work;
- ease of maintenance and operation of the technical device;
- environmental friendliness and the complete absence of harmful emissions during operation.
Such electric mobile plants for processing garden waste are suitable for small areas. Their disadvantages include:
- power limitations;
- the inability to use in the absence of electricity;
- breakdowns in conditions of voltage drops;
- the availability of high-quality extension cords to supply voltage.
When choosing a garden shredder with electric drive, it is necessary to take into account the high cost of electricity with the constant use of technical equipment.
Gasoline engines are more powerful dacha installations for the disposal of waste garden and garden activities. The obvious advantages of gasoline shredders are:
- full autonomy and the ability to use in the country, where there is not uncommon power outages and voltage drops;
- the engine is large in power and allows to process not only grass, but also wood of small tree trunks;
- The cost of a gasoline driven garden shredder is much lower than with an electric one.
However, such dacha helpers have their negative, from the point of view of the owners of homestead plots, moments:
- in order to use a petrol unit for a garden or a vegetable garden, a certain skill and knowledge of the use of the device for shredding garden garbage is necessary;
- increased costs for servicing the gasoline grinder (oils and lubricants) on which the stability of work and the service life of the device, which makes it possible to shred garden debris, depend;
- the price of a good gasoline model of any brand exceeds electrical apparatuses;
- weight and dimensions are much higher than the parameters of electrical devices.
A particular topic for criticism of gasoline shredders is their increased noise level and harmful exhaust emissions into the atmosphere.
Grinding mechanism designs
Another element that directly affects the quality of the garden shredder is the system of cutting mechanisms. The vast majority of shredders for the garden and the garden have two designs of such knives:
- disk design;
- milling mechanisms.
The disk design of the knives is a disk rotating at high speed and equipped with knives. Knives are located around the entire circumference of the disk and are made of tool steel grades. Such mechanisms have a certain list of advantages:
- democratic price;
- simplicity in service, in a case when it is necessary to sharpen knives.
A garden shredder equipped with a disk system cuts small, fresh branches, grass and fallen leaves easily.
There are disk designs that have two types of knives located at a certain angle:
- upper larger blades for pre-cutting large branches;
- lower knives allow you to shred the waste to a smaller state.
When using this mechanism for the disposal of coarse debris, dry thick branches and tree trunks, knives can quickly become dull. For this kind of solid garden waste, it is best to purchase a device with a milling grinding system.
Milling mechanism of garden shredders. The equipment for recycling garden waste, equipped with a turbine system with milling cutting of waste, is a powerful and efficient mechanism. Such a design, as a rule, occupies higher ranks of shredder ratings in comparison with units with disk knife systems, and has a number of obvious advantages:
- milling designs for cutting garden waste will cope with thick and dry branches and even the processing of wood trunks of trees up to 45 centimeters in diameter;
- the presence of a special mechanism for retracting branches eliminates the need to constantly push garbage into the apparatus funnel;
- the presence of reversal and adjustment of the fractions of garbage in some milling models allows grinding the waste to the required size.
There are universal turbine garden shredders. These are devices which design includes two turbine shafts at once. On each shaft milling designs of knives are located. The counter-rotation of these structures makes it possible to grind even the hardest waste. Such devices for processing garden and garden waste occupy, as a rule, the highest ranks of the ratings in a series of such equipment.
How to choose a garden shredder
Modern specialized retail chains and online store pages offer a huge selection of garden equipment, including garden shredders. To facilitate the selection, it is worthwhile to look at the overview of garden shredders, which are classified according to their power, field of use and design features:
- Amateur shredders for a vegetable garden or garden (5: 1 grinding ratio) are designed to perform small amounts of work that will cope with the processing of small branches, grass and foliage;
- the middle class includes garden shredders (a grinding ratio of 8: 1), which recycle waste from large shrubs, branches of adult trees and fallen fruits with stones;
- professional garden garbage choppers (10: 1 chopping ratio) are made on the basis of exclusively gasoline engines with a milling-turbine knife system and easily process the hardest waste.
It should be understood that professional shredders, which occupy the top ranks of ratings, are much more expensive than other devices for recycling garden waste. When deciding how to choose a garden shredder so that its useful activity is maximized, it is not enough to simply study the ratings of the units for recycling garden waste. To select the best garden chopper, experts recommend:
- determine exactly for recycling what kind of garbage, and in what volumes the device is purchased;
- determine the price category of shredder;
- make a list of necessary characteristics: weight, size, mobility (presence of wheels);
- it is worth choosing a chopper with an inclined funnel design, which will greatly facilitate its use;
- consider the availability of a special pusher for garbage in the garden shredder;
- acquire a device that allows you to adjust the speed and size of waste fractions;
- Considering the conditions in which it is planned to operate the chopper, select the type of power for the drive;
- determine the waste cutting system, based on the potential conditions of use of grass chopper and twigs;
- to evaluate the material from which the housing of the suburban unit is made, metal cases are reliable, but they are heavy, and plastic ones are much lighter, but less durable;
- to clarify the presence of a protection system, simple and complete instructions for use, spare parts and additional components, allowing to expand the scope of use of the device.
Choosing a device for processing garden waste, it would be nice to study the rating of major manufacturers. Specific operating conditions, price category and a set of necessary technical characteristics will be decisive in deciding which garden chopper should be chosen.