I want to have a beautiful, well-kept balcony, and it is the sheathing (exterior) that gives it a finished, attractive appearance. The finishing of the balcony of the house provides insulation, waterproofing and protection of the structure against wind loads and adverse weather conditions, therefore, the technical characteristics of materials for finishing the balcony outside matter.
Finishing siding and warming the balcony parapet
Siding - the most popular finishing material made from polyvinyl chloride. The texture can imitate stone, brick, wood. By type of installation, siding is divided into vertical and horizontal (allows you to select a balcony in the overall architecture of the building). Single, double and triple panels are produced (this is determined by the number of fastened slats).
Demanded types of panels:
- "ship timber", repeating the shape of the ship's board. Sheets are produced with a double bend, which increases the reliability of plating;
- "double herringbone" imitates cladding clapboard. Distinctive features - quick and easy installation, low weight, additional stiffening ribs (double bend of the anti-urethane lock);
- “blockhouse” is distinguished by a cylindrical type of profiles, reminiscent of a log frame pattern).
The siding of the following parameters is produced: the length of the panels is 3050-3660 mm, width 179-255 mm, thickness 1.1-1.2 mm. When facing a loggia, it is important to consider that the speed of installation depends on the size of the panels. With long and wide sheets, the facade is sheathed more quickly, with less joints.
Advantages of vinyl siding:
- durability - the lifetime is about 50 years;
- resistance to the appearance of fungus, mold, corrosion, and therefore does not need additional protective coatings;
- not exposed to changes in humidity or temperature (operating mode from -50 ° C to + 50 ° C);
- excellent noise insulation performance;
- environmentally friendly material;
- easy to install yourself, and to a variety of surfaces (wood, brick, concrete);
- suitable for covering unprepared walls, surfaces;
- a wide variety of textures, a rich palette of colors;
- resistant to fading, does not exfoliate / does not peel off;
- democratic value.
- brittleness - with a strong and sharp mechanical effect, the material may crack;
- panels cannot be repaired / repaired;
- melts quickly.
The preparatory work on the cladding involves an assessment of the technical condition of the balcony and, if necessary, restoration work. The concrete base is carefully cleaned (garbage, dust). If there are minor cracks in the base, close them up with the help of special mixtures. To restore the slab, damaged along the perimeter, a wooden crate is mounted and concrete is poured. The iron grate / fence is peeled from peeling paint and rust and covered with fresh protection.
For finishing work will need:
- vinyl siding (the number of panels is calculated based on the size of the area plus a margin of 15-20%). The optimal solution for finishing the balcony - horizontal panels with a width of 25-35 cm;
- slats (elements for fastening the panels between themselves and to the surface of the balcony);
- j-trim profile - used as an edging when only one wall is sheathed (in such cases it can replace the starting and finishing strips);
- finishing profile - in configuration it is similar to j-trim, only thinner;
- wooden bars (40x40 mm) - for the formation of crates;
- polyurethane foam.
Finishing the balcony outside with your own hands is carried out using a hammer drill, a hammer, a building level, a screwdriver, a circular saw.
Wooden slats are attached to the metal fence - an external crate is formed. To do this, on the street side of the parapet, a wooden bar is treated strictly according to the level, treated with a colorless antiseptic.
Wooden bars are parallel to each other with a step of 50 cm. Wooden elements are securely fixed with self-tapping screws to the metal grid in the upper and lower parts.
After installing the wooden crates begin to install siding. To adjoin the siding to the wall is preparing a j-trim profile of the desired size. It is fastened with screws from the street side to the last plank of the batten. For a strong fixation, several attachment points are sufficient (a step of 30-40 cm is observed).
At the bottom of the parapet perpendicular to the bars obreshetki set starting level. First, the j-trim profile and the starting plate are connected to each other at right angles. Then, from the outside of the balcony, the plank is screwed with screws to each rail of the batten.
The finishing profile is installed parallel to the batten bar and fixed with self-tapping screws. Moreover, fasteners are placed inside the factory profile holes. The lower part of the profile is fastened last with a screw with a wide head.
After the installation of profiles, the design is ready for siding installation. The first panel is inserted inside the starting j-trim strip and finishing profile. Sheets are attached to the batten bars. Carefully fit two rows. Each panel is fixed on the crate with screws through the factory holes.
After the second row, a sheet of foam plastic is installed between the battens. At the bottom of the sheet is held by siding. The upper part of the foam is trimmed with a knife. Similarly, between the sheets of crates are installed all sheets of penoplex. Next, install the rest of the siding panel. Moreover, their sides are placed inside the finishing and j-trim profiles, and the horizontal side is fastened with screws to the battens.
Top sheet siding is fixed with a margin. After glazing, the excess part is cut off just under the ebb and closes the lower foam seam.
The next stage of work is sealing the seams. A layer of polyurethane foam is applied to the joints of the penoplex and wooden crates. Also, the foam closes the seam between the slab and insulation sheets.
Bleed joints between the crate and penoplex. Close attention is paid to the corners of the balcony.
Next, proceed to the insulation and finishing works from the inside of the parapet.
Covering the balcony with siding outside, conducted according to all the rules, is the guarantor of the long service of the balcony. You also need to pay attention to the quality of the material. Panels should be matte, without scratches, cracks, delaminations, any kinds of external defects. The lateral slice can be used to estimate the uniformity of siding thickness (this indicator determines the resistance of sheets to power loads).
Finishing of a balcony outside a professional flooring
The worthy alternative to a siding at a covering of an external part of a balcony is the professional flooring.
Profiled - roofing material made of galvanized steel. Available in the form of profiled sheets with a polymer coating. Advantages:
- stability, high strength (provided with special stiffeners);
- excellent thermal characteristics;
- ease of installation and light weight (does not require additional strengthening of the balcony base);
- easy care (enough to wipe with a damp cloth);
- various color palette of the surface protective layer;
- attractive appearance, reasonable price.
Balcony trim is made on a specially designed frame of their profiled pipes (it is recommended to replace the old unusable structures with new ones). The easiest way to sheathe crate of profiles that are parallel to the walls of the house. It is recommended to treat the frame with a primer and paint it against corrosion.
Installation of sheets starts from the corner. The material is fixed with special screws with rubber pads. At the corners of the balcony sheet simply wrapped and fixed. So that the fastening heads do not stand out from the background of the coating, they are painted in the appropriate color.
In places of a joint of a wall and a professional flooring special levels are established.
Saydin or decking: what to prefer?
Vinyl siding panels imitate wood surfaces in an interesting way (clapboard, timber). This design gives the balconies a non-standard and individual look.
Decking has a profiled appearance (the technology is used to give the material stiffeners) and can stand out only at the expense of the color palette.
Vinyl siding is equipped with special factory mounting holes. When installing it is proposed to use finishing elements to form an aesthetic design. Moreover, mounting siding does not require special skills.
Sheathing profiled made of solid sheets. When mounting the material is not provided for the use of special finishing elements. Installation includes a minimum of processes.
Durability and operating conditions
Quality siding will last about 50 years without loss of aesthetic and consumer properties.
Guaranteed service life of galvanized corrugated flooring - 25-30 years. It is possible to choose products with an alumino-zinc coating, with a stated service life of up to 40 years.
Both materials perfectly tolerate difficult weather conditions and temperature / humidity variations.
If it is difficult to choose the material of the skin, you can consult with a professional. That specialist will correctly assess the condition of the balcony and prompt the right decision. Moreover, the cost of siding and corrugated can be considered equivalent.